OPEN LETTER FROM HS2AA TO EVERYONE AGAINST HS2.
To all those that have supported us in the fight against HS2.
With the end of the year in sight, we thought it was a good time to give our supporters an overview of what we’ve been up to this year.
In January 2012, Justine Greening, the then Secretary of State for Transport, announced plans to proceed with HS2. The special interests pushing HS2 expected the opposition to melt away after this announcement.
They were wrong.
Since January, HS2AA has never been more active:
- we have brought two judicial reviews actions - concerning the Government’s non-compliance with environmental law and its unfair decisions on compensation for those communities impacted by HS2.
-we have recruited thousands of additional supporters, from all over the country, who agree HS2 is not in the national interest.
- we have engaged with journalists and think tanks to ensure the case against HS2 is well understood and high up the political agenda. We have devoted resources on advertising on political blogs and websites to ensure those in Whitehall and Westminster are fully aware of the flaws in HS2.
- we have communicated with politicians from all parties, making the powerful case against HS2 and in favour of fair compensation. To give you an idea of scale, we are currently sending out over 1,500 pieces of mail a month to politicians in Westminster and the devolved administrations setting why HS2 is a bad deal for Britain, as well as meeting regularly with representatives of all parties.
- we operated stands at the Conservative and Liberal Democrat party conferences, with our volunteers meeting MPs, councilors and party activists.
- through a continuing program of rigorous research and review, we identified the inconvenient truths contained in the official documentation published in support of HS2 - and raised these concerns with the Government, the Transport Select Committee and the National Audit Office.
None of this would have been possible without one thing: our supporters.
The reason we get a hearing is that we have thousands of people who are willing to stand up and become registered supporters. The more support we have the stronger our voice is in the corridors of power.
The reason we can bring judicial challenges, advertise and lobby is through the generosity of people like you, Peter. The more donations we receive the more forcefully we can campaign.
So, to our supporters and donors a huge amount of thanks is due. We simply couldn’t have done it without you.
But we have even bigger plans next year. We want to push the campaign even further up the political agenda. If we are going to do it we need your help. The address to download a standing order form is www.hs2aa.org/donate We hope you can support us.
Our activities this year are the clearest proof yet that, against the
odds, ordinary people working together can challenge powerful interests.
There's a lot more work to do.
But for right now: Thank you and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.
Everyone at HS2 Action Alliance
SNAG Latest News
Now you can see the line from Brum to London via helicopter.
See the devastation of our beautiful countryside
» View full report
Join our mailing list